A TOTAL HAIR TRANSFORMATION
Gen Itoh & Andy Cheong share one of their favourite restyles, from copper-gold bob to cool ash pixie cut.
TIGI APAC Creative Directors, Gen Itoh and Andy Cheong, share one of their favourite hair transformations, taking inspiration from Japanese Manga culture to create a haircut with strong definition and texture.
When meeting their model, the pair assessed the hair and discussed the cut and colour direction for the look. “Her bob haircut made her face look small,” explains Gen, “so I decided to open up the jaw area and also maintain some length to create a slightly ‘grown out’ feeling.”
“She had great, strong hair, so we knew it could take lightener and colour,” says Gen. “Her hair was coloured to a level 7 Gold Copper”, adds Andy, “but she agreed to make a change for cooler tones to enhance the cut”.
THE COLOUR: FROM GOLD BLONDE TO ASH BLONDE
To accentuate the style, Andy used a root shadow technique with shades of soft ash blonde, which gave the whole look strength and focus. Here’s how he achieved the colour result.
- Pre-lighten the hair with TIGI Copyright Colour True Light White, using a 1:1 mixing ratio with Activator 20vol/6%. Process for 45 minutes, until level 9 is reached.
- Shampoo hair with TIGI Copyright Repair Shampoo, then apply SOS Extreme Recovery Treatment and leave for 5 minutes.
- Rinse, and shampoo with TIGI Copyright Toning Shampoo.
- Apply Formula 1 to the root area, and process for 10 minutes.
- Next, apply Formula 2 to the mid-lengths and ends and process for a further 15 minutes.
- Rinse, and shampoo with TIGI Copyright Toning Shampoo followed by Moisture Conditioner.
Formula 1 (roots)
40g Gloss 6/08
+2g Mix Master /88
+60g Activator 5vol/1.5%
Formula 2 (mid-lengths & ends)
30g Gloss 9/21
+10g Gloss 9/12
+10g Gloss 10/28
+1g Mix Master /1
+1g Mix Master /88
+75g Activator 5vol/1.5%
THE CUT: FROM BOB TO TEXTURED PIXIE
Gen had noticed a trend for soft layers and perimeters becoming prominent in the music, fashion and street scenes, which inspired his styling. This is how he created the look.
- Prep the hair with TIGI Copyright Multi Tasking Styling Foam to give hold and texture.
- To start, take a horseshoe section to separate the top and bottom areas.
- Using a razor, cut the hair under the horseshoe following a vertical graduation technique. This will create maximum texture while leaving some softness at the perimeter.
- Moving to the crown area, cut the hair short but leave some length throughout the front.
- Next, work visually on dry hair and personalise to make sure the hair is moveable.
- Cocktail together Colour Lustre Oil and Creamy Finishing Wax to define separation and give hold.
- Apply Maximum Hold Hairspray to shape and hold the final look.
Create your own hair transformations using TIGI Copyright Colour, Care and styling products in your salon. Contact us to become a stockist or speak to your local TIGI Representative.
See more hair transformations from Gen and Andy! Watch their TIGI Fuse Sessions here.