CUT & COLOUR TUTORIAL: THE SHAG
Joel Torres and Wes Palmer collaborate on cut and colour to show us a variation on the trending Shag style.
Without a doubt, one of the key hair trends of 2020 was the Shag haircut, and it looks set to be just as popular in 2021. At TIGI, the Shag has always been a favourite style, dating back to the original 70s’ looks created by the Mascolo brothers, and the ‘vintage’ style is constantly updated through our technical collections and education.
It’s a look that can be adapted to suit just about any client, and almost any hair type or length, so it’s no wonder it’s been so popular of late. With clients in many parts of the world still not able to return to their usual salon visit frequency, the Shag is a great option for lived-in styles that grow out beautifully, and easily.
TIGI COPYRIGHT COLOUR
True Light White
+ Activator 20vol/6%
(Mix ratio 1:1 – 1.2)
30g Gloss 7/44
+ 30g Gloss 8/31
+ 90g 8.5 vol/2.55%
COLOUR STEP BY STEP TECHNIQUE
- Work with 4 sections around the hairline, 3-4cm in size. Two on either side of the profile part, above and below the recession.
- Starting at the hairline, take a ½ cm partings, working back towards the crown.
- Utilise a seamless weave for the first parting below recession and apply Formula 1 using foil to isolate. As you progress away from the hairline, lightly tease the root with a comb before continuing with a seamless weave. Repeat on the opposite side.
- For sections above recession, utilise a block weave, following the application for the previous sections. Repeat on the opposite side.
- Process colour for up to 50 mins and rinse and remove using TIGI recommended aftercare.
- Towel dry the hair and apply Formula 2 to the pre-lightened area. Process for up to 20 minutes. Rinse and remove using TIGI recommended shampoo and conditioner.
STYLE & FINISH
CUT STEP BY STEP TECHNIQUE
Apply Small Talk through damp hair.
Isolate the fringe with a triangular section then separate the perimeter from the interior.
Create a symmetrical curtain fringe using point cutting at a low elevation.
Behind the fringe, work with vertical sections. Over direct each section forward and layer by slicing from short to long towards the back.
Repeat the same process behind the crown to complete the layering.
Blow-dry hair with a round brush to create a soft wave.
Personalise hair, and style with Headrush and Lightheaded*.
*Bed Head Lightheaded Hairspray is available in the US only
Feeling inspired? Become a TIGI stockist and create this look on your clients. Contact us or speak to your TIGI representative.