CUT TECHNIQUE: MEN’S CLIPPER GRADUATION
Joel Torres demonstrates how to use clippers and scissors to create a men's graduated cut.
Joel Torres, TIGI Creative Director of Social Media, shares this men’s graduated cutting tutorial, using a combination of clippers and scissors, and styling with Bed Head for Men favourites.
Follow the step by steps below, and download the head sheet to support your learning.
STEP BY STEP
- Prepare the cut by applying Bed Head for Men Power Play gel.
- To start, take a horseshoe section to isolate the top.
- Create a graduation using clippers, working with attachments #3-1.
- At the nape, detail the contour with a closed clipper position without a guard (#0).
- Detail the graduation with #1.5 guard at the sides and around the ears.
- Refine the blend with #1 guard and open blade position.
- Detail the hairline around the ears using freehand point cutting and scissor over comb.
- Release the top and take a central vertical section from the forehead to the horseshoe.
- Create a layering guide in the centre using point cutting.
- Pivot around the crown following the head shape, then use side diagonal back sections in front of the ears until the front hairline is reached.
- Blow-dry the hair off the face using the hands to create a natural look.
- Personalise and create separation using channel cutting.
- Finish with Bed Head for Men Slick Trick pomade for a flexible hold and added shine.